Thursday 7 August 2008

Boys' Day Out on Bikes


Yesterday’s BDOOB had been planned for some time. Guest day-tripper Chris joined us. He’s a man with a very demanding work schedule, so we booked him in with all the necessary advance warning.

Our cycle route was planned by master orienteer Dave, with a virtually infallible eye for wind resistance, rainfall, minimum gradients and road safety. They don’t call him “four eyes” for nothing.

My lowly ambitions were twofold: to complete a twenty mile round trip (that’s long distance for me), without being late for my guitar lesson, or dismounting for any inclines. I achieved them both, with a little help from my friends. Big Dave made an excellent windbreak at times, while Chris spotted that my saddle was too low, then adjusted it for me.

Naturally, the outing included the BDO staples: nerdy conversations about pedal bikes and their accessories, playing with digital cameras, and reminiscences of steam engines. At one point along the way, we suddenly all felt the need to sample some real ale, so a slight detour up and down a hill was considered a worthwhile exchange for a rest, one which involved quality control procedures on some very fine amber liquids in the beer garden of a village pub in Alderton.

Here you see us at the climax of the journey: three middle-aged blokes, happily inhaling the steamy trackside atmosphere at Toddington station, one end of the line of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway, a preservation society run by volunteers in the Cotswolds. Can you identify the really serious cyclist? Clue: look for the hi-tech footwear. Yes, those bare-naked calves of Chris’ have pumped up and down for many thousands of miles. So have Dave’s, but in a more modestly attired manner. Me? I just cycle in my old jeans and shoes. I’m most often seen operating in my spontaneous nip-to-the-local-shops-and-back mode.

5 comments:

Pauline said...

You've gotta love the BDO adventures (it took me a while to figure out BDOOB).

You three have me beat with my single speed, double cheek-seated, balloon-tired, pedal brake classic and my six-mile round trips. I don't have the proper gear either, B - whatever I'm wearing at the moment is good.

Peter Bryenton said...

Jane Thorndale writes:

I spent ten minutes going back through these images.

They are a brilliant insight into a fantastic friendship.

Have you two thought about publishing it? It stands up as such a touching illustration of what men are about.

Women just chatter about nothing much when they get together and they seem to have more overt emotional bonds but you two display what real mates are all about.

There for each other yet happy to continue your own pursuits while still being close at hand. Amazing.

Peter Bryenton said...

P: panniers full of pickles too?

Canbush said...

I'm with you, Pauline - I'm not the man for Lycra.

etcetera said...

I'm with Jane. Capture's the essence of friendship sans gender, or in the face of gender stereotypes. Would make a great photo-logue of all sorts of friendships actually. Let me know if you need an author!